Saturday, August 23, 2014

Inspiration . . .

Saw a video last night posted on Facebook.  It was of a couple of war vet amputees participating in the Spartan Race.  One guy has lost his left leg and his left arm.  He has one of those reverse ski looking prosthetic legs.  The other fellow has lost both legs and an arm.  The story was amazing.  These guys just don’t know the meaning of the work quit. 

The fellow without legs was carried in a back pack type system by a team mate for some of the competition, while the other guy toughed out all the obstacles, with some assistance from team mates.  I’m inspired not just by the amputees drive to compete and face the obstacles despite their disadvantage, but also by the team mates that went right with them, supporting , encouraging, and helping them to get through the race. 

These guys have recognized that there is more to life than existing.  More than breathing in and out and consuming food and watching mindless entertainment flash across a screen.  They are actively participating in their lives.  In the human race. 

This short video spoke to me.  It embarrassed me.  It challenged me.  I don’t want to watch life pass.  I want to participate. Deep in my soul I know there is more out there than what I currently experience.  I know there is more to me than this lump of flesh that I've become.

On a personal note, today I weighed in at home.  Don’t think I mentioned it before, but a while back I purchased a scale that is supposed to register up to 440 pounds.  I had no idea what I weighed since it’d been so long since I tried.  When I got the scale I got on and it ran through its numbers and came back with “ERR”, which meant that I was somewhere north of 445 pounds.  A few weeks ago I weighed again and got 444. Just seeing the number was a small victory.  Last week was 443. 

Today was 440. 


I’m glad that the minor changes I've made are working, if slowly.  I went to the grocery store this morning and I think I have enough food for the week.  Some of that will depend on the hearty appetite of my son, but I think I have things fairly well planned out.  I used coupons for the first time in years and planned meals based on what was on sale.  I got $95 worth of groceries for $74.  Not too bad.  I’ll be able to eat good, but healthy food this week and hopefully see those numbers continue to fall.  Checked my blood sugar this morning and it was 160, also a marked improvement.  I took the puppy for a short walk last night.  Probably did her more good than me, but it was movement.  The fact that after only a couple of blocks my calves and back were screaming, was not a good feeling, but I know that will fade with continued persistence.  Hopefully tomorrow I can continue that journey and keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my ramblings and hope somehow it proves helpful to someone. I welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your support!